Sunday, July 26, 2009

Tuesdays at 3:00?


As Claire, Lucy, and I walked in late to church this morning, there were no seats left except up in the first row next to the Pastor. So, we walked up front, and sat down. Even though we were 45 minutes late, this isn't a problem at our little church here in Mexico and they welcomed us with warm smiles.

As I sat down, the pastor leaned over to me and asked,"do you play instruments". I said, "yes." He then asked, "can you teach lessons?" I said with a shrug, "yes" the shrug meaning, "I guess so."

Five minutes later, during the announcements, the pastor let everyone know that I was going to be teaching music lessons to the church youth. He then looked at me and asked, "what day do you want to teach?" I said, "I don't know, Tuesday?"

"Morning or afternoon?" I asked. He is looking at me like, it's up to you. "Afternoon? 3:00?" I answered my own question.

So, there it is Tuesdays at 3:00, committed. It happened kind of fast, but truly this is an answer to prayer. Claire and I have been doing quite a bit of physical work on our home and around our mission building, but that has just secluded us from the community. It is easier, I don't have to try to communicate in Spanish, and the results are more obvious. But, we are ready to dive in and commit to working with people. To do things, like music lessons, to build relationships and to let Jesus' love live through us, encouraging others to follow him. But, it is scary for us to step into this realm of being "real missionaries." Although, we are excited and glad that God is placing these opportunities in front of us.

Please pray that we will be committed into more peoples' lives, and that Jesus' desire to know and save people is apparent in our lives.

1 comment: